Sunday, December 28, 2008

Another Winter Wonderland

Well, here I am again just twenty four hours later! It's not that I don't have anything to do, it's that I don't want to do anything right now. I'm still thawing out from clearing the drive and stoops to the house.

We have a unattached garage that sits fifty feet further back from the street than our house. Forty of that fifty feet is double wide drive. The drive is concrete, poured about ten years ago but now is starting to frost heave so that every other saw cut is raised against you, bringing progress to a startling halt!

I don't know what has happened to Ma Nature these past two years, but starting in November, we get to clear drives, walks, patios and stoops every other day about. This past weekend was a lulu!

First, we had sub-zero temperatures and three ice/snow storms, one every other day. Then Friday the thermometer zooms up to the high forties and stays in the thirties overnight. Then around four in the morning we had a thunderstorm and rain that sounded like it was in the bedroom with us.

We get up Saturday morning to bare cement and cleared lawns with dirty snow only in the piles that either man or nature made. And the temperature is shirt sleeve stuff! Until about eleven that is. Then the thermometer starts a plunge that must have made it's ears hurt! And by three we've got freezing rain that coated everything with a layer of ice. Driving was a nightmare and there were so many fender benders that the police are still trying to add up the numbers.

Then overnight, we get another inch of snow. Oh goody, I get to run the snow blower again. That thrill wore off the second year I had the damn thing! Now I measure my well being by whether I can clear the whole drive before having to stop for a siesta. I made it today by pure grit and venting of hostility on the snow cover. Now I'm back inside trying to think of another job I can avoid.

Isn't this exciting stuff? Wait until I really get on a roll.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home