Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Mock Turtle Soup Threw Me For A Loop

For some reason I began to think of the Mock Turtle Soup I used to get at the corner drugstore down from my father's auto repair garage when I was in my teens. I really liked the stuff to the point that when I got tips from customers, I would run over to the drugstore to get a bowl. The pharmacist and owner learned to double his stock during the summer when I was at the shop every day. He had a display with cans of soup running up on each side and a heating plate in the middle. As I recall, it was all Campbell soup.

I don't know what caused me to go there, but I was warming some Campbell's Clam Chowder at the time so that may have poked at my memory banks. Anyway, after lunch, I jumped on line and Googled "Mock Turtle Soup".

I was completely floored by the number of recipes for Mock Turtle Soup and further dumb founded by the ingredients. I really don't remember the taste of the soup anymore, but I didn't expect the main ingredient to be ox tail, or the skin of a calf's head. The milder versions start with ground beef. I quit after viewing two or three recipes although I did print out the first two. I may try the one with hamburger and see if it triggers any memories. I doubt if it will.

Interesting things, these blogs. If you don't tell anyone where it is located, the odds are that no one will ever read them, which is alright with me. I don't even know why I wanted to start one nor why I would enter updates, but here I am keying away. Freud would have a heyday with me. And not just because of blogs, I suspect.

We have two of our grand daughters staying with us this week, ages seven and five, while their dad and mom spend some time in Las Vegas. They are very competitive over grandma's attention with the older girl very unhappy to have to go to school and leave the "playing field" open to her little sister. And "playing field" is the operative word as grandma has the knack of getting to their level whether playing dolls or box games. Grandpa is fine to quarterback PC time, but Grandma is the preferred playmate. That's fine with me, but Grandma hollers for help every thirty or forty five minutes. Sometimes the girls will let us deflect them, but not for long and not every time. They view their playtime with Grandma as the highlight of their visits.

Grandma and I will be heading to Las Vegas in another month to visit our number three son and his wife. They are both dealers at Bill Tavern on the strip. Neither Grandma nor I are gamblers, so we will spend our days with our son and evenings with our daughter-in-law as they have to work different shifts. Their employer has a rule against couples but bent it for them if they agreed to stay on different shifts. That allowed them to "transfer" from Harold's in Lake Tahoe to Bill's, both of which are owned by Harrah's.

I'm getting bored with the snow again, as I do about this time every year. We had an official seven and a half inches of snow Friday night that left a foot of snow in my drive and on my stoops. Then yesterday we got another three inches (my measure) to snow blow off. The weather man is promising another one to four inches tonight. Meanwhile, we are dressing for sub-zero temperatures.

I'm ready for a thaw and a break from three snow storms a week! Maybe being a snow bird isn't such a bad idea after all. All I need is for the stock market to recover all my money it mislaid plus some so I can pay for the travel and lodging. We don't have enough relatives spread around to do as some, go spend a week with each and be gone from Christmas til April Fools day. Besides, I do believe mom's adage that "Guests, like old socks or fish, begin to smell after three days."

Well, that's enough nonsense for today. Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home